The white paper also states that, if opioids are to be used, the lowest possible effective dose for the shortest duration should be used.
Other recommendations include the following:
- Dosage levels and times of administration of ibuprofen and acetaminophen taken simultaneously should be documented to prevent overdosage.
- Patients should be informed not to exceed 3,200 mg of ibuprofen per day. In addition, the maximum recommended daily dose of acetaminophen is 3,000 mg.
- The appropriate state's prescription drug monitoring program or other resources should be accessed if patient drug misuse is suspected.
- All instructions for each patient's pain relief and prescriptions should be documented.
- The reasoning for not following these recommendations or those required by state laws or institutions should be documented.
- A corticosteroid should be considered for use during surgery to limit swelling and lower postsurgical discomfort after wisdom teeth removal.
- A long-acting local anesthetic to postpone the onset and severity of postsurgical pain should be considered.
Copyright © 2017 DrBicuspid.com