Ore. man sues college dental clinic over alleged burns

An Oregon man has filed a lawsuit against Lane Community College in Eugene claiming he was severely injured during a teeth cleaning at the college's dental clinic in November 2009, the Register-Guard reported.

According to the complaint, Scott Ritchie of Dexter, OR, alleges his gums and the underlying bone were burned when an ultrasonic scaler operated by a dental hygiene student ran out of water and overheated.

The lawsuit, which seeks $350,000, does not name the student, who is charged with failing to use appropriate care and skill when handling the scaler and failing to stop when Ritchie was burned, the article noted. The lawsuit also claims the school did not have appropriate supervision in place.

According to the suit, Ritchie now has sensitivity in two teeth and permanent gum recession.

Page 1 of 348
Next Page